Makes: 6 Servings
24 Jumbo Shells, uncooked
2 cups low-sodium canned tomato sauce
1 10oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 3/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 ½ cups low-fat, part skim ricotta cheese
3 medium carrots, peeled and grated
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
large pinch ground nutmeg
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain
and rinse under cold water until completely
cool. Drain thoroughly.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F.
3. Squeeze as much water as possible from the thawed
4. In a large bowl, stir together the spinach.
Mozzarella, ricotta, carrots, egg whites, pepper and
nutmeg until thoroughly blended.
5. Line the bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking dish
with ½ cup tomato sauce.
6. Divide the ricotta mixture among the pasta
shells, pressing the filling int o the shells with spoon
to completely fill each shell.
7. Arrange the shells side by side in a baking dish.
8. Coat the shells with an even layer of the
remaining tomato sauce.
9. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
10. Bake until shells are tender and the sauce is bubbling, about