OZRO BAKED IN RED PEPPERS
Makes: 6 Servings as a Side Dish
8oz Ozro, Ditalini or other pasta shape, uncooked
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 celery stalk, finely diced
1 tsp fresh thyme, or ½ tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
½ cup Parmesan cheese
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
4 oz Provolone cheese, grated and divided
6 medium red bell peppers
3 tsp dry bread crumbs
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions.;
drain and set aside.
2. Put the vegetable oil in a medium saucepan and
warm over medium heat.
3. Add garlic, onion and celery.
4. Cover pan and let vegetables cook until tender.
5. Remove from heat. Stir in pasta, thyme, parsley,
parmesan cheese, salt, ½ cup of the chicken
broth and half the provolone.
6. Preheat oven to 350 F.
7. Cut the tops off the peppers and remove the
8. Cut a small piece off the bottom of each pepper
so they stand up.
9. Spoon the pasta mixture into each of the peppers
and then set the peppers in a baking dish.
10. Sprinkle ½ tsp bread crumbs on top of each
11. Sprinkle remaining provolone over the top of
12. Pour the remaining 1 ½ cups chicken broth around
13. Bake for 45 minutes, until peppers are brown on
top and very tender.
14. Remove peppers from baking dish with a spatula.
15. Serve immediately.