THAI BARBECUED CHICKEN, STICKY RICE,
GREEN PAPAYA SALAD
4 cups sticky (glutinous) rice
1. Place 4 cups of sticky rice in a saucepan and add
water to cover.
2. Rub the rice between your hands several times and
drain off the milky water; add clean water
and repeat until the water is clear.
3. Soak overnight in water to cover or it can be
soaked in hot water for 3 hours before steaming.
4. Drain the rice and place in a cloth lined basket
or in a steaming basket.
5. Place the basket over a pot of boiling water,
cover, and steam for approximately 30 minutes.
1 whole chicken, cut in half
1 tsp salt
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp white pepper
1 tbsp minced cilantro leaves and root
2 tbsps cognac, whiskey, or rice wine
2 tbsps coconut milk
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp fresh ginger, chopped
1. Rub the entire chicken with the combined
marinaded ingredients and marinate for 15 minutes.
2. Bake at 350 F (180C) for 45 minutes and then
broil/grill for 10 minutes until done.
3. Cut into smaller pieces before serving.
1 medium dark green papaya
4 garlic cloves
6 green Thai chillies
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
1-2 cups green beans, chopped into ½ inch pieces
½ tsp salt
1/4 cup lime juice or tamarind juice
1. Peel the papaya and rinse under running water.
2. Remove the seeds and shred the flesh with a
grater. Set aside.
3. Place the garlic cloves and chillies in a mortar
and mash with a pestle until crushed into chunks.
4. Add the papaya and the remaining ingredients and
gently combine all with the pestle and a
spoon. Serve cold.