1. Dissolve the salt, baking soda and alum in 11 oz
(325 ml) of water.
2. Mix the water and flour to form dough.
3. Let stand for 15 minutes, then dampen your hands
and knead until the dough is smooth and
4. Place the dough on an oiled surface and roll into
a long strip.
5. Cut into 30 short strips of about 1 oz in weight.
6. Press 2 strips together and roll them lengthwise.
7. Pull the batter sticks until they are 10 inches
8. Heat the oil to 400 F (205 C), or until a piece
of day-old bread browns in about 30 seconds.
9. Add the dough sticks, a few at a time, and deep
fry, stirring constantly, until brown.
10. Drain well and serve warm with milk or bean milk.