Makes: 8 Servings
9 pieces Lasagne, uncooked
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 tsp vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
8 oz mushrooms, sliced thin (optional)
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 10oz package frozen spinach, thawed, drained
1/4 tsp salt
˝ tsp dried basil
˝ tsp dried oregano
2 cups meatless tomato or spaghetti sauce
1 15oz container part-skim or reduced fat ricotta
3/4 cup shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 tbsps Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions;
drain and with cool water until ready to use.
2. While pasta is cooking, combine onions and oil in
a skillet over medium heat until golden, about
3. Add the garlic and cook about 1 minute.
4. Spoon out half the onions and reserve for later.
5. Add the mushrooms (if using) to the onions in the
6. Cook, stirring over medium heat, until the
mushrooms are tender and slightly browned, about 7
7. Add the parsley and a pinch of salt; transfer to
8. Add the reserved cooked onion and the spinach to
9. Cover and cook over medium heat until the spinach
is wilted, about 3 minutes.
10. Uncover and cook over medium heat to evaporate
any excess moisture, about 1 minute. Season
with a pinch of salt.
11. Heat oven to 350 F.
12. Drain the lasagne and pat dry with paper towels.
13. Mix the oregano and basil with the tomato sauce.
14. Spread 1 cup tomato sauce in the bottom of a 13
x 9 x 3-inch pan.
15. Arrange 3 lasagne pieces, slightly overlapping,
in the pan.
16. Spoon the spinach mixture on top in an even
17. Spread with half of the ricotta.
18. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the shredded mozzarella
19. Arrange a layer of 3 lasagne pieces.
20. Spread with the mushrooms, the remaining ricotta
mixture, and 1/4 cup of the mozzarella.
21. Top with the remaining 3 pieces of lasagne, 1
cup of tomato sauce and ˝ cup of the mozzarella
22. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
23. Bake until brown and bubbly, about 45 minutes.