STEAMED CHICKEN LASAGNE WITH TOMATO
Makes: 4 Servings
4 pieces of Lasagne, uncooked
1 chicken breast, 6-8oz, cooked
1 ˝ tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
1 ˝ cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
1/4 cup freshly chopped tomato
1 tbsp chopped capers
1 tsp salt
˝ tsp black pepper
˝ tsp hot red pepper flakes
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 tbsp black olives (Kalamata) pitted and chopped
20 basil leaves
˝ cup yellow onion, chopped
3 large tomatoes, chopped, with juice
1/8 tsp black pepper
3 tbsp fresh basil, chopped (optional)
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
2. While pasta is cooking, cut chicken breast in 6-8
3. In a food processor or blender, puree chicken
breast with tomato paste. Add oil slowly, then add
˝ cup chicken broth.
4. Transfer puree to a bowl and mix in 1/4 cup
chopped tomatoes and capers.
5. Add the salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, basil
and olives. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 F.
6. On a board, lay out 4 pieces of lasagne.
7. Lightly season with salt and pepper and lay 3-4
basil leaves on each piece of lasagne.
8. Divide pureed chicken mixture into four equal
9. Spoon 1/4 of the mixture on one end of each sheet
10. Roll up each sheet and secure each sheet and
secure together with a toothpick..
11. Pour 1/4 cups of chicken broth into four
oven-safe coffee cups or ramekins.
12. Place rolled up lasagne into cups.
13. Place the cups in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
14. Slowly fill pan with 1 inch of water, cover with
foil and bake for 50 minutes.
15. In a small saucepan, cook onion and chopped
tomatoes over medium heat until mixture has
formed a sauce. Add pepper and basil. Set aside.
16. When lasagnes are done, remove by carefully
draining liquid from each, and turning upside
down. Remove lasagnes and turn right side up. Remove
17. Divide among four bowls, placing a lasagne in
centre of each bowl.
18. Top each lasagne with a little sauce and pour
remaining sauce around sides of lasagne. Garnish
with basil leaves.