1. Parboil broccoli and fennel by boiling for 3-4
minutes in salted water, drain and reserve.
2. To cook the pasta, bring the slat water to a
3. Add the pasta and stir frequently to prevent the
pasta from sticking together.
4. Cook until the pasta is almost tender,
approximately 8-10 minutes.
5. Drain and reserve some of the cooking liquid.
6. While pasta is cooking, heat a large saute pan
over medium heat and saute the garlic, lemon zest,
and the red pepper flakes in the olive oil for 3-4
minutes, being very careful not to brown the
7. Add the red peppers and shitakes and continue to
cook until the mushrooms are tender.
8. Add the cooked broccoli, fennel and fresh thyme
and continue to cook without browning.
9. Add the cooked pasta, half of the parsley and
season with salt and pepper.
10. If the pasta seems to dry, add some of the
reserved pasta cooking liquid.
11. Portion the pasta into heated bowls and garnish
the tops with grated ricotta salata and the