PASTA WITH CHICKEN, TOMATO AND ROMANO
Makes: 6 to 8 Servings
1 lb Spaghetti, Linguine or Thin Spaghetti, uncooked
2 ripe tomatoes, cored
2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
1 large onion, peeled and finely diced
4 large cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into
1 tsp dried basil
12-16 California ripe olives, coarsely chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed,
1 15 ˝ oz can low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup grated Romano cheese
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
2. While pasta is cooking, cut the tomatoes in half
crosswise and scoop out seeds with you fingers.
Chop the tomatoes coarsely.
3. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the onion and garlic and cook until the
onion is lightly browned and tender, about 6
4. Add the chicken and basil and cook until the
chicken is lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
5. Stir in the olives, green pepper and tomatoes and
cook until the tomatoes begin to give off liquid,
about 2 minutes.
6. Add the chicken broth to the skillet, heat to
boiling and boil until half of the liquid is evaporated,
about 4 minutes.
7. When pasta is done, drain it well and add to
sauce mixture. Toss until pasta is evenly mixed with
8. Transfer to serving dish, top with cheese and serve.