1. Cook the macaroni in water according to
2. Crumble sausage into a 10" in pan, cook over a
medium heat until well browned.
3. Lift out sausage from the frying pan with a
slotted spoon and set aside.
4. Discard all but 2 tsp drippings. Into the
drippings, add butter and onion and cook, stirring until
onion is limp.
5. Add the garlic, pepper and mushrooms and cook
until mushrooms are soft and all liquid
6. Stir in flour and cook until bubbly.
7. Gradually stir in milk to make a smooth sauce.
8. Continue cooking and stirring until sauce
thickens, about 3 minutes.
9. Add oregano, basil, salt, Parmesan cheese, and
drained macaroni; stir to coat.
10. Place half of the macaroni mixture in a buttered
2 ˝ quart baking dish.
11. Sprinkle the sausage on top. Then layer the
remaining macaroni, the jack cheese.
12. Bake uncovered in a 400 F oven for 20 minutes or until the
cheese is bubbly and center is hot.