CHEESY BAKED ZITI
Makes: 8 Servings
1lb Ziti, Rigatoni, Mostaccioli or other medium
pasta shape, uncooked
vegetable oil cooking
1 onion, chopped,( about 1 cup)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 14.5 oz can low-sodium diced tomatoes, drained
1 15 oz container low-fat ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
˝ cup skim milk
1/3 cup Italian parsley, chopped
1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped or 1 tbsp dried
˝ tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
2. Drain and set aside in a large bowl.
3. Preheat oven to 400 F.
4. Spray a non-stick skillet with vegetable oil
5. Heat oil over medium heat.
6. Add onions and saute until tender, about 5
7. Add garlic and saute 1 more minute.
8. Remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes.
9. Place ricotta cheese, 1 ˝ cups of the mozzarella
cheese, 2 tbsp of the Parmesan cheese and milk
in a food processor or blender.
10. Process until smooth.
11. Add the tomato and cheese mixtures, parsley,
basil and pepper to the cooked pasta.
12. Toss well to combine.
13. Spray a 2 ˝ to 3 quart (an 8 or 9 x12-inch
oblong dish works well) baking dish with vegetable
14. Spoon the pasta mixture into the dish.
15. Sprinkle with remaining ˝ cup mozzarella and 2
tbsps Parmesan cheese.
16. Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.