SWEET AND SOUR ASIAN DELIGHT
Makes: 4 Servings
12 oz lean chicken OR beef OR pork
1/4 tsp salt
½ tsp ground peppercorns
1 tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
1 can (4 oz) bamboo shoots
2 tbsps all-purpose flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
vegetable oil, fro deep frying
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 scallion cut into short sections
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 fresh red chili, seeded and cut into fine strips
1 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsps light brown sugar
2-3 tbsps rice vinegar
2-3 tbsps tomato paste
½ cup basic broth or water
1. Cut the chicken/pork/beef into small bite sized
cubes and place in a shallow dish.
2. Add the salt, peppercorns and rice wine or dry
sherry and marinate for 15-20 minutes.
3. Drain the bamboo shoots and cut them into small
cubes the same size as the chicken/beef/pork.
4. Dust the chicken/beef/pork with flour; dip in the
beaten egg and coat with more flour.
5. Heat the oil in a preheated wok and stir-fry the
chicken/pork/beef in moderate hot oil for 3-4
minutes, stirring to separate the pieces. Remove and
6. Reheat the oil until hot, return the
chicken/beef/pork to the wok and add the bamboo shoots. Fry
for about 1 minute, or until the chicken/beef/pork
is golden. Remove and drain well.
7. To make the sauce, heat the oil in a clean wok or
frying pan and add the garlic, scallion, green
bell pepper and red chili.
8. Stir-fry for 30-40 seconds, then add the soy
sauce, sugar, rice vinegar, tomato paste and broth or
9. Bring to a boil, then add the chicken/beef/pork
and bamboo shoots.
10. Heat through and stir to mix, then serve.