1. Mix the flour 3 ½ oz (100 ml) of water to make
dough, knead until smooth and let stand for 30
2. To prepare the filling, mix the pork or mutton
with 7oz (200 ml) of water and the salt.
3. Stir in one direction until it becomes a paste.
4. Add the scallions and blend well, divide filling
into 100 portions.
5. Divide the dough into 4 portions and roll into
6. Cut each into 25 pieces.
7. Flatten each piece and roll into 2 inches (5 cm)
8. Place 1 portion of filling in the centre of each
wrapper and fold the dough over it, making a
bonnet shaped pouch.
9. Pinch the edges together to seal the dumpling.
10. Repeat until all the dough and filling are used.
11. Bring 8 cups (2 litres) of water to a boil over
12. Add the dumplings. Stir them around gently with
a ladle, and let the water return to a boil.
13. Add enough cold water to stop the boiling, then
bring back to a boil.
14. When the water boils again, add more cold water
and bring to a boil a third time.
15. The dumplings will be done when they float to
16. Remove, drain well, and serve.