1 carrot, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
8 medium to large shitake mushrooms stemmed and
sliced ½ -inch thick or
- 12 oz mushrooms, sliced
8 large asparagus stalks, cut diagonally in ½-inch
3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
1. Cut the red bell pepper in half, cut out the
cores and scrape away the seeds.
2. Core the tomatoes and cut a small ‘x’ in the end
opposite the core.
3. Blanch the tomatoes in a small saucepan of
boiling salted water just until the skins become loose.
4. Drain the tomatoes immediately and place them in
a bowl of cold water.
5. When cool, drain the tomatoes and slip off the
6. Cut the tomatoes in half and scrape out the
seeds. Cut in ½ -inch cubes.
7. Prepare the pasta according to package
8. While pasta is cooking, heat 1 tbsp of the butter
in a large saucepan over medium heat.
9. Add the carrot and onion and cook until softened,
about 4 minutes.
10. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring
occasionally, for 3 minutes.
11. Add the mushrooms, asparagus, chicken broth,
basil and red bell peppers.
12. Stir well.
13. Add the remaining butter, increase the heat to
high and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce
is boiling and the butter is completely melted.
14. Drain pasta and transfer to a serving bowl.
15. Pour vegetable sauce over pasta and toss
16. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.