RIGATONI IN LAMB SAUCE
Makes: 4 to 6 Servings
1 lb Rotini, Medium Shells or other medium pasta
12 oz lamb stew meat or
- 2 lbs shoulder lamb chops
1 cup Italian plum tomatoes, or
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary or
- ½ tsp dried rosemary*
½ tsp finely chopped fresh thyme, or
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 ½ cups dry red wine
1 pinch each ground nutmeg and ground cloves
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Ask the grocery butcher to remove fat from the
meat and coarsely grind the lamb for you. Or,
remove the fat and bone and coarsely chop the meat
in a food processor.
2. Place the plum tomatoes in a bowl and break up
with a fork until coarsely crushed.
3. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high
4. Add the lamb and garlic and cook until the meat
begins to brown, about 3 minutes.
5. Add the onion, rosemary and thyme; cook 1 minute.
6. Add the crushed tomatoes, wine, nutmeg, cloves,
salt and pepper to taste.
7. Heat to a boil and reduce the heat to simmer.
8. Cook uncovered, until the lamb is very tender,
about 45 minutes.
9. Check the lamb occasionally. There should always
be enough liquid to cover the meat. If not,
add a small amount of water.
10. Prepare pasta according to package directions;
11. Return the pasta to the pot.
12. Add the lamb sauce to the pot and cook over low
heat until heated through, stirring constantly.
13. Stir in half he Parmesan cheese.
14. Divide pasta among serving bowls.
15. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and serve.