12 fresh uncooked large shrimp
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 slices sandwich bread
1 hard−cooked egg yolk
1 slice cooked ham (about 1 ounce)
1 green onion
2 cups vegetable oil
1. Remove shells from shrimp, leaving tails intact.
Remove back veins
from shrimp. Cut down back of shrimp with sharp
knife. Gently press
shrimp with fingers to flatten.
2. Beat 1 egg, cornstarch, salt and pepper in a
small bowl until blended.
Add shrimp to egg mixture and toss until shrimp are
3. Remove crusts from bread. Cut each slice into
quarter. Place one
shrimp, cut side down, on each bread piece. Gently
press shrimp to
adhere to bread. Brush or rub small amount of egg
mixture over each
4. Cut egg yolk and ham into 1/2 inch pieces. Finely
Place one piece each of egg yolk and ham and a scant
chopped onion on each shrimp.
5. Heat oil in wok over medium−high heat until it
Fry 3 or 4 shrimp−bread pieces at a time in the hot
oil until golden,
1 to 2 minutes on each side. Drain on absorbent paper.