BAKED SHELLS WITH MUSHROOM CREAM
Makes: 6 Servings
1lb Medium or Small shells, uncooked
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 ½ cups milk, divided
1.2 cup chicken broth, homemade or canned
salt to taste
freshly ground pepper to taste
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 4oz can sliced mushrooms, drained
1/4 cup sliced pimentos
2 cups diced cooked chicken (optional)
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for
1/4 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions;
2. Rinse the pasta under cold water until cool and
3. Preheat oven to 350F.
4. In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and
2 tbsp of the milk until the cornstarch is
5. Heat the remaining milk and the chicken broth in
a small saucepan over medium heat.
6. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and heat,
stirring, until the sauce is simmering and thickened.
7. Add the salt and pepper and simmer 3 minutes.
8. Pour the sauce into a bowl, add the peas,
mushrooms, pimentos, chicken (if using), ½ cup of the
Parmesan cheese and the cooked pasta.
9. Stir the sauce in until it and the vegetables are
evenly distributed. Transfer to a baking dish.
10. Stir 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese and the
bread crumbs together in a small bowl and sprinkle
the mixture over the pasta.
11. Bake until the sauce is bubbling and the topping
is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
12. Serve hot.