SHREDDED CHICKEN WITH CELERY
Makes: 4 Servings
10 oz skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 tsp salt
½ egg white, lightly beaten
2 tsps cornstarch paste
2 cups vegetable oil
1 celery heart, cut into fine strips
1-2 fresh red chilies, seeded and cut into fine
1 scallion, cut into fine strips
few strips of fresh ginger, cut into fine strips
1 tsp light brown sugar
1 tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
few drops of sesame oil
1. Using a sharp knife, thinly shred the chicken. In
a bowl, mix together a pinch of the salt, the egg
white and the cornstarch paste. Stir in the chicken.
2. Heat the oil in a preheated wok, add the chicken
and stir to separate the shreds.
3. When the chicken turns white, remove with a
strainer and drain. Keep warm.
4. Pour off all but 2 tbsps of the oil.
5. Add the celery, chillies, scallion and ginger to
the wok and stir-fry for 1 minute.
6. Add the chicken, remaining salt, sugar and rice
wine or dry sherry.
7. Cook for 1 minute, then add the sesame oil. Serve hot.