Makes: 4 Servings
1 lb Sirloin steak (or pork or chicken, whichever
2 tbsps sesame seeds
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsps vegetable oil
4 oz small mushrooms, quartered
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and cut into
4 scallions, chopped diagonally
boiled rice, to serve
2 tsps cornstarch
2 tbsps Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp soy sauce
few drops of Tobasco sauce
1-inch piece fresh ginger, grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
1. Trim the steak and cut into thin strips, about ½
x 2 inch.
2. Make the marinade: In a bowl, blend cornstarch
with the rice wine or dry sherry, then stir in
lemon juice, soy sauce, Tobasco sauce, ginger and
garlic. Stir in steak strips, cover and leave in
cool place for 3-4 hours.
3. Place the sesame seeds in a wok or large frying
pan and dry-fry over moderate heat, shaking the
pan, until seeds are golden. Set aside.
4. Heat the sesame and vegetable oils in the wok or
5. Drain the steak, reserving the marinade, and
stir-fry a few pieces at a time until browned.
Remove with a slotted spoon.
6. Add the mushrooms and green pepper and stir-fry
for 2-3 minutes.
7. Add the scallions and stir-fry 1 minute more.
8. Return the steak to the wok or frying pan,
together with the reserved marinade, and stir over a
moderate heat for a further 2 minutes, or until the
ingredients are evenly coated with glaze.
9. Sprinkle with sesame seeds on top and serve immediately with