CHICKEN WITH CHINESE VEGETABLES
Makes: 4 Servings
8-10 oz skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 tsp salt
1.2 egg white, slightly beaten
2 tbsps cornstarch paste
4 tbsps vegetable oil
6-8 small dried shitake mushrooms, soaked in hot
4 oz canned sliced bamboo shoots
4 oz snow peas
1 scallion, cut into short sections
few small pieces of fresh ginger
1 tsp light brown sugar
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
few drops sesame oil
1. Cut the chicken into thin strips, each about the
size of an oblong postage stamp.
2. Place in a bowl and mix with a pinch of salt, the
egg white and the cornstarch paste.
3. Heat the oil in a preheated wok, add the chicken
and stir-fry over medium heat for about 30
seconds, then remove with a slotted spoon and keep
4. Add the vegetables and ginger to the wok and
stir-fry over high heat for about 1 minute.
5. Add the remaining salt, sugar and chicken. Blend,
add the soy sauce and wine or sherry. Stir for
6. Sprinkle with sesame oil and serve.